Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Microtransaction in Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 is one of those games that I've known is coming for what seems like a decade. Now that it seems like it is just around the corner, and game play details are becoming clearer and clearer, I keep getting more excited.

Yesterday Mike O'Brien revealed details about microtransactions and currency systems in a blog post over and ArenaNet. There will be gold, karma, and gems. Gold is regular in-game currency, karma is untradable, earned currency for special items, and gems and purchased with real money. Here is the beautiful thing. You can trade gold for gems and gems for gold with other players.

This doesn't seem like the kind of announcement that is going to get the fans hyped about the game. But it does have that effect on me. You see, I played Runes of Magic for quite a long time and they have a nearly identical system that I love. RoM allows you to list diamonds on the auction house for gold, or gold for diamonds where diamonds are purchasable for real money and gold is the in-game currency that you receive from completing quests and selling your junk to vendors.

For me this allowed me to farm a bunch of random stuff from mobs, sell it on the auction house for gold, use that gold to buy diamonds from other players, and then get access to cash shop items for "free". I had a great time doing for several months is RoM, and I can't wait to see how fun that is going to be in Guild Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment